Thursday, September 24, 2020

Book Review: The Bachmann Family Secret

Good mornign, beutiful peple. ^^ I hope youre getting ready for the weekend. I sure am! Today I come with a book I liked a lot. The Bachmann Family Secret, by Damian Serbu, was a nice coming-of-age and coming-out novel to remind you of being a teenager scared of the world. Thanks a bunch to the publisher for sending me a review copy through NetGalley!

  • Print Length: 269 pages
  • Publisher: NineStar Press (July 27, 2020)
  • Publication Date: July 27, 2020
  • Genres: Romance, Gay, Homoerotic, Fantasy, YoungAdult
  • Rating: 3 / 5
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved grandfather’s funeral with a heavy heart and, more troubling, premonitions of something evil lurking at the Bachmann ancestral home. But no one believes that he sees ghosts.
Grappling with his sexuality, a ghost that wants him out of the way, and the loss of his grandfather, Jaret must protect his family and come to terms with powers hidden deep within himself.

The story is appealing, the characters are cute and I liked the ideas a lot. A young guy struggling with his sexuality AND freaked out because his dead grandpa wants to communicate with him? Me wants! (er, wanted?) Jaret was a lovely character I identified with in a blink. He reminds me of mysef when I was his age. Although eighteen years old, he's still figuring out how to come out, both as gay and a medium or whatever that gift means he is.

There is not much erotic content in this book. In fact, you will only get some kinky comments and kisses, but it's because the story focuses on Jaret's gift, his interaction with such a retrograde family, his own past and his present. It's hard not to want to be there for him! I felt the same way, so reliving those emotions made me daydream more than I expected. This is such a cute and simple story it was like a breath of fresh air.

However, I felt this was too much of an instalove story for my taste. There are things that make sense, but there are others, and I'm speaking only about romance here, that don't. There wasn't enough development, which left me feeling a bit unfamiliar with the couple. Also, the ending wasn't what I expected. The final battle wasn't... a battle at all. I'll leave it like that to avoid spoilers, but trust me, it could have been better.

I liked the simplicity in The Bachmann Family Secret. Damian Serbu has a descriptive, emotional style that makes you smile and feel bad because of the characters. They feel real many times through the novel, which is easy to read and enjoy. While there could have been a better development, I was pleased with how things ended. That final scene made me smile like an idiot!

About Damian Serbu:
Damian Serbu lives in the Chicago area with his husband and two dogs, Akasha and Chewbacca. The dogs control his life, tell him what to write, and threaten to eat him in the middle of the night if he disobeys. He has published The Vampire’s Angel and The Vampire’s Protégé with NineStar Press. Keep up to date with him on Facebook, Twitter, or at www.DamianSerbu.com.

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it or not? Let me know in the comments! Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment