Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Book review: Facing the Darkness

Hi everyone. How are you feeling today? I come with a book I wish I had had back when I needed it the most, but that I'm happy I read now so I can be prepared the enxt time life has some nasty surprises for me. Facing the Darkness, by Cat Treadwell, is a spiritual manual for Pagan in dire needs, in short. Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Print Length: 116 pages.
  • Publisher: Moon Books (October 25, 2013).
  • Publication Date: October 25, 2013.
  • Genres: Meditation, Mental Health, Paganism, Spirituality.
  • Rating: 5 / 5
Facing the Darkness aims to support those going through times of crisis and depression - primarily Pagan, but accessible to all. Utilizing Pagan spiritual imagery, skills and perspectives, a combination of inspirational text and easy exercises work with images and stories to distract and encourage for short-term relief and long-term healing. From the apparent hopelessness of deep night through to the inevitable return of sunrise, Nature imagery, tales of mythology and Deity combine in accessible meditations, activities and anecdotes to remind the reader that they are not alone on their path through the darkness. Cat Treadwell acts as a guide through the forest, working with the Druid skills of Bardic tales and Ovatic land/spirit connection. Darkness and despair can lead to peace and inspiration...through the simple bravery of stepping forward.

The book is made by truly short chapters, thought this way for when you're under a lot of too-much and just need a quick answer, and for that purpose there are segments in bold letters. However, there is enough information and details in case you want to dwell deeper into them and select your own, not to mention you could do a lot of journal work with each topic.

I found several interesting and appealing ideas, many meditations, visualizations and thoughts that I will consider and think about the next time I feel I need a Pagan SOS. That's perhaps what I liked the most about this book, that it offers not only general spiritual options for spiritual people, but also Pagan-oriented ideas that many will like. It's nice to see this kind of material focused on Pagans and Witches.

The style is so simple to follow and direct it's easy to get the core ideas in a fast reading. I decided to test if I could get those reading fast and not as attentive as I do on purpose, so I would know what it may be like reading it when stressed, and it works perfectly. When I actually read the content and paid more attention, my guesses weren't far from the whole idea. This mental-health concerned Witch approves!

Facing the Darkness, by Cat Treadwell, is the kind of book you are going to want to have near when you are depressed, worried, stressed, anxious, or under any other extreme emotion. It helps you cleanse, heal, defend your mind from itself and put yourself back on track. I'm glad I had the chance to review this one, and I strongly believe it should get more attention!

About Cat Treadwell:
Cat Treadwell is a Druid Priest based in Belper, Derbyshire, England. She is a professional celebrant and multifaith worker, Trustee of The Druid Network and Awenydd of the Anglesey Druid Order. Cat is also a volunteer for The Pagan Federation. Website.

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it or not? Let me know in the comments! Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment