Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Midnight Thoughts: Why do I Abandon Books?

Hey, cuties. You may have noticed I'm not reviewing books as often as I did before, and there's a very good reason for that: I'm abandoning a lot. I'm not proud of it, but not ashamed either. I've been reading for a long time, which means I'm getting more critical. I don't feel the need to finish it if it's bad, and I won't waste my time writing about things I dislike when I can spend it in something potentially better.
As I thought about it, the more sense it made. I don't have the time I had before. I'm not the same person I was before, either. Be it fiction, non-fiction, comic, manga, or whatever, I still love books but can accept the fact that some times it's not meant to be. What started as a few books left behind became many more. Why? It could be any of the following answers or a mix of them:

1. Don't enjoy it: Sometimes it's just a matter of likes and dislikes. I might start reading a book expecting something, and I can get a different thing and still like it, but if it's too different then I won't keep going. It happens all the time, and not because the book is bad or I'm a hater, just because it's not the book for me and I'm not the reader the author wants. Sht happens.

2. Bad style/development/ideas/research/pace: Plain simple, if it's bad, I won't keep going. I started reviewing a series long ago but I gave up after several books with little progress. I can wait, I like slow, but there has to be something else to keep me going. Same for research. I don't like to brag, but I have a Master's, and while it's true that I don't know it all, I can find some information with ease if I want to (but I'm not a stalker). I can tell whether the author knows what they're writing about or no, or if they're biased, in short time, even if I'm not versed in the topic. I don't need to agree, but show me your reasons as if I was a 5 years old. That also applies to fiction, because I don't want endless descriptions and flourishes. Get. To. The point.

3. Toxic/Harmful content: I once abandoned a book because it was promoting rape. It was promoted as a dramatic and dark romance in an omegaverse setting with werewolves. I thought it would be the perfect recipe for a character breaking free from a hierarchical society, but the author was glorifying repeated rape, mental, emotional, and physical abuse, and tried to tell me the main character liked it? Hell no. I like dominance, I love characters who take charge and those who submit because they love it, but abusive relationships are just a no. The author was cynical enough to say "too hot for Amazon" after it was banned. No, bitch, shut the fuck up and leave the keyboard.

4. Due to respect: I recently abandoned a book because of historical inaccuracies (in addition to bad research ergo #2). I expected better coming from an author that I've read and loved already, but I couldn't handle those mistakes. However, I didn't want to impact in a negative way the efforts of so many people, also knowing that it's a book that could help many readers. A friend has it now, and he's liking it, and that's great, but I didn't want to tell people I hated it. If they like a book, love it, find it useful, that's great! It just didn't do it for me.

There are a few books I read in the past and I hated them, and was honest about it and how disenchanted I felt afterwards, but that I'd like to revisit to challenge my view. I do believe that sometimes you're not ready for certain readings because you're either too young or inexperienced, so I'm always leaving the door open for those I leave behind (few exceptions, like that infamous omega-shit).

What about you? How do you decide to abandon a book? Does any of these apply to you? Let me know in the comments!

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment