Thursday, July 7, 2022

On Offerings

I think it's safe to say that any kind of witch, no matter how experienced, has done a few offerings. Burning herbs, incense, drawings, candles, gems, food... The possibilities are as endless as stars in the sky and sea. However, I don't do them that often. At least not in the traditional way. I pretty much agree with Mat Auryn regarding the greatest offering to deity, because for me it has to be meaningful. What a better way to honor someone than doing what they teach?
Writing is the most powerful spell I will ever do, but I want to do more. Photo by Craig Adderley.
For me, burning incenses, lighting candles, praying and meditating are good, but what's really meaningful, what I feel makes me a better witch and person in general, is helping others and trying to make the world a better place. Maybe not the whole planet, but at least have a positive impact no matter the scale. Beyoncรฉ says it better when she sings Left this world a little better just because I was here. And no, I'm not comparing myself with Queen B, just saying I want to do the same.

That's one of the driving forces to do what I do. Writing is a pleasure for me, but also a tool. Writing is the most powerful spell I will ever do, and that's why I do it over and over again, almost obsessively, because it matters to me and I have faith that it worked, works, and will always work. Worst case scenario? I heal myself. Best case, I heal someone else, maybe more than one person.

However, I don't only write. I do it to entertain, educate, fight against prejudice and ignorance, but I also want to help others in practical ways, because, in all honesty, all spirituality aside, how does burning candles make the world a better place? If an Atheist looks at it, I can understand why they'd say it's useless. It has happened in my family before.

My maternal Grandma was fasting for religious reasons, and while I could find some meaning, my brother and a cousin did not. I tried to explain to them why, but my family kept getting in the middle just repeating "because it's a sacrifice, it's an offering", to what my brother kept saying "and how does that help anyone?" I had to take my cousin aside and tell her it was a way of Grandma to remind herself to be grateful of the food she could count on every day and be humbler towards those who were not as lucky.

I burn incense, I light candles, I meditate when I can, I'm starting to get more responsable and holding myself accountable for my faults, but I also want to do something practical. I don't want to stay indoors, fill myself with light and kindness, ignorant of what others are going through.

I recently started donating to an immigrant foundation, spoke with a friend about writing a course that could help some incarcerated people who are interested in Paganism, and I'm evaluating what local volunteering options I have to help queer, autistic, masculine-identified youth. I'm learning about my heritage to understand my family better, to help my cousins do the same, to keep my family's teachings alive and pass them to my children if I'm lucky enough to have them.

These are a few of the projects and organizations I have in mind, and nothing would make be happier if you decide to support one or more. Also, I want to support others to reach their dreams, so I started visiting Kickstarter searching for projects I like and feel called to donate to, and have a few things I want to buy from Queer Druid's store, so feel free to do the same if possible.

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment