Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Book review: Spell of the Werewolf

Hello, you. ^^ How are you feeling today? I recently began working with a purple beauty, a flower I recently shared in my Instagram. So far, I think it can be a Morning Glory, since the flowers are pretty similar, but the whole of the plat is really different. I’ll keep digging the internet and see what I can find. Meanwhile, what about books? Today I come to tell you about Spell of the Werewolf, by J. R. Loveless. Thanks to Gay Book Promotions for sending me a copy!


  • Print Legth: 118 pages
  • Publisher: Self Published (June 21, 2020)
  • Publishing Date: June 21, 2020
  • ISBN-13: 979-8654256959
  • ASIN: B08BR32XGS
  • Rating: 3.5/5 stars
A werewolf with a death wish bargains with a hunter for salvation. Justin has spent several lifetimes atoning for the violent nature of his curse. A mindless angry beast several nights a month, he carries a burden of blood for past sins. Tired and lonely, he’s seeking an end to his torment.
Vincent bears the curse, though only by half. A hybrid, he hunts those of his brethren who let their monsters take over. And he’s hell bent on destroying them all, until he's forced to deal with one who’s begging for peace. Except deliverance wears many guises.
Their desire for redemption erupts in a fiery passion drawing them closer together.
Trigger Warning: Suicidal thoughts and implications.

The story is pretty simple and straightforward, and the book is short as well, so it was easy to get started with it and sympathize with the characters. There is nothing too complex, to strange or deep in this novel. I’m mostly a vampire guy, but there something about wolves that also make them really appealing.

I liked how the story showed Justin and Vincent, and although Justin sometimes became the typical self-loathing cliché-kind-of-character, he has enough material to stand on its own. The same goes for Vincent, because I thought at first he would be just a cold-blooded hunter who wouldn’t develop that much due to my first impression. Boy, I was wrong!

Their story is pretty much sweet and with a little bit of drama, I liked how they interacted with each other, got to know the other and see their dynamics change. J. R. Loveless made this an enjoyable time! However, I felt the romance part was a bit too rushed for my taste. It could have been okay if they started having no-strings sex, but things got too personal too quickly. Same goes for the world-building, because… I can’t believe no one heard that much sword-fighting; and I’d rather stay silent about the ending…

Spell of the Werewolf has sexy protagonist and many good ideas that could easily turn into a series. There’s potential for a longer story and I think the author has a great writing style, since I was surprised several times as I read. If you want a quick love story about wolves, trauma and a nice dose of sex, this novel is for you.

About J. R. Loveless:
J.R. Loveless began her adventure in writing romance at the young age of twelve. Her foray into creating her own worlds and telling her characters’ life stories was triggered by her own love of reading. She currently resides in South Florida with her dog and two cats, volunteers for an animal rescue in her spare time, and works as a manager for a financial lending institute. Someday she hopes to begin writing as a full-time career and bringing more of her ideas to life.
Her journey into gay romance began in 2005 when she began posting her original fiction on a forum for feedback and readers’ pleasure. In 2010, a good friend urged her to submit to a publishing company, and the day she received the acceptance and contract was the best day of her life. Since then, she has been noted to be one of the most purchased audio books after Fifty Shades of Grey on Audiobook.com, received best gay romantic fiction for Touch Me Gently in the 2011 TLA Gaybies, and even received an award for Chasing Seth in 2012.
J.R. adores her fans and loves hearing from them.

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it or not? Let me know in the comments! Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment