Monday, February 12, 2024

Review: Witchcraft Unchained

It's been a hot minute, hasn't it? While I was away from the digital world, I read, and read, and read, and read some more, so I hope you're in for a few reviews the next days. Today, I come with a book that illuminated a lot things and debunked many false myths about Paganism: Witchcraft Unchained: Exploring the History & Traditions of British Craft, by Craig Spencer. Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Print Length: 252 pages
  • Publisher: Crossed Crow Books
  • Publication Date: June 22, 2023
  • Genres: History, Witchcraft, Non-Fiction, Paganism Studies.
  • Rating: 4/5 stars.
On June 22, 1951 the last of the Witchcraft Acts was repealed in the UK. This single action would lead to the rise of what would become the global witchcraft revival movement. Despite another year marking the passing of this historical event, so much of our history still remains lost, misunderstood, or frankly made inaccessible to the magical community at large. There is a craving for better information about the more recent history of Witchcraft in the hopes that these gaps in knowledge may be filled, and it's the author's intention to make Witchcraft Exploring the History & Traditions of British Craft the book that will do just that. By addressing the metaphorical chains that have found their way into our community and restoring what has been lost, misunderstood, or made inaccessible, the reader can become empowered with new thoughts which will allow them to connect with their magic on a deeper and more personal level.

I loved the writing style of this book, how easy and simple it is at all times. There are several chapters that deal with many topics that may seem difficult at first sight, and some explanations could have been challenging. However, Craig made sure to take it easy without that affecting the quality of the book. I was able to see and understand everything and follow his ideas with no problem.

While it is true that the subtitle says the it's about British Craft, I've seen it influencing a lot of practices, so I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be more critical about their practice while also exploring its evolution through time, because we also get to see how some things changed while others stayed the same.

The only one thing that I didn't like was very specific: the chapter about the Goddess, the God, and the Great Rite, not being heteronormative. It was one of the chapters I was looking forward the most, but it didn't convince me at all what the author presented. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it, and while I saw his point in some of his ideas, I still don't share them.

All in all, it's a book that reminds you to question everything, ask everything and anything, always keeping room for surprises. It honors Witchcraft, a road full of unexpectedness, by sharing things you don't expect, answers to questions you didn't know you had, enriching your practice in a new way. I would recommend it to anyone, really.

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment