Monday, November 27, 2023

Book Review: (he)art

I read this book when I needed it. I was in a dark place, a dangerous, unstable state of mind, but I was able to get lost in these pages, savor each line, and feel I got the words to describe many things. I felt seen, understood, and at peace. If it sounds more like a praise, it's because (he)art, by Zane Frederick, deserves it.

  • Print Length: 150 pages.
  • Publisher: Self-Published (January 28, 2018).
  • Publication Date: January 28, 2018.
  • Topics: Homosexuality, Romance, Depression, Mental Health.
  • Rating: 5 / 5 stars.
Coated in petty heartache, (he)art. is a reflection on the what ifs, the almosts, and every blown dandelion wish. This work confesses the words never said; the naiveté of a first love, the echoing absence of what could have been, and the awareness of self-significance. Written from a LGBTQ perspective, this collection is pertinent for any member to confide in. It also explores the self-discovery in sexuality and the bravery of coming out, even in fear. Divided into three separate parts, each chapter displaying how the heart acts during different emotional moments in life. This book is best read in a bookstore, cafe, or in the comfort of your home.

This is a book that doesn't hold back. There's a simplicity in how Frederick writes that isn't always seen, so organic and natural that it feels as if he's there talking with you, baring his heart and soul open without fear of judgement. However, it's impossible to judge or give him any hatred because of the beauty in all of his lines.

There are different stiles in his book, but for me the best poems were the short ones. In just a few lines, I got the words to describe what I was feeling in that moment. I saw myself in all of the pages, going deeper and deeper into myself as I also got to understand the author in an intimate way. Ironically, it never felt as if he shared too much, but just the right amount of honesty.

I do feel that there were some ups and downs in some poems. Being a debut, some of the lines weren't as polished as I think they could have been. While in some cases that rawness to them served the purpose, sometimes it broke the fluency of the reading. I think that would be my only complain.

In general, this is a book to savor, to feel, with ink that goes inside your veins to make your heart beat one more time after being comatose for so long. For me, it was a healing experience, similar to daydreaming and remembering what once was and what could never be. As a queer man, I could relate to it all, but I would expect a straight person to also react to this book.

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment