Friday, November 17, 2023

Manga: UNDEAD Series

Would it be weird if I say that I've wanted to read a zombie love story? Because I've been wanting that kind of story, with blood, guts, and love. Enter UNDEAD: Finding Love in the Zombie Apocalypse, by Fumi Tsuyuhisa. Not only it's what I wanted, but also very entertaining! Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Mangaka: Fumi Tsuyuhisa.
  • Publication: 2023
  • Publisher: TokyoPop.
  • Print Length: 2 volumes.
  • Genres: Drama, Gay, Horror, Romance, Yaoi.
  • 4 / 5 stars.
  • Synopsis of the first volume:
Which will you find in this devastated world — love or despair?
Nineteen-year-old Hikaru Asahina lost everything the day the world ended. Everything, that is, except his childhood friend Ai Kosaka, who has always taken care of him. Now the two of them, along with other survivors, struggle to stay alive in a post-apocalyptic world filled with man-eating zombies.
And when Ai confesses to feeling something more for Hikaru, it changes everything. After all, the more precious someone is to you, the harder it is to lose them. In a world like theirs, is something like love even possible?

Although the story is not the most original one, there are several tropes of the Z genre that the creator knew how to use in favor of the world-building, which is still simple, not too elaborate, but attractive. The characters, while also following a traditional structure in the yaoi genre, are more than what meets the surface.

What I liked the most about this series is the script. The story evolves in no time, showing the characters in different, complicated situations, taking them out of their comfort zone so they can grow as someone would do in that scenario (or so I think). There's a lot of emotion, inner turmoil, and conflicting feelings, that make the reading even better, faster, and immersive.

I would say that the second was a bit problematic for me, mostly due to a very specific rape scene that made me feel uneasy. I feel it could have been better worked, not so graphic, or at least with more realistic consequences. It was just another element in a love story that didn't impact it in a real way besides the shock value.

However, it's easy to enjoy. Times passed me by as I devoured page after page. The art is great as well, not as delicate as I usually enjoy, but because the story needs it to be so, so it's fitting, very well-done. I would recommend it to those who want a different love story, enjoy elements of horror, and, of course, like a dose those of good ol' zombies.

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment