Saturday, March 2, 2024

Manga: Never Let Go, Volume 1

There's a manga that you need to read. You just don't know it yet. I finished not long ago and was amazed at the topic, the development, and the art. It's just too good not to share it with you: I'm speaking about Never Let Go, Volume 1, by Saki Sakimoto. Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Mangaka: Saki Sakimoto
  • Publication Date: January 16, 2024.
  • Publisher: TokyoPop.
  • Print Length: 224 pages.
  • Genres: Drama, Gay, Omegaverse, Romance, Yaoi.
  • 4 / 5 stars.
Rich-kid Haruto is used to being flattered and fawned over by fellow students, so when he's kicked out of his elite Alpha school, he finds himself as the ultra-desirable Alpha transfer student at a mixed-gender high school. Everyone is quick to try to befriend him—everyone, that is, except student council president Miyabi, who actually seems to despise him.
Haruto swore he wouldn't get involved with anyone at his new school, but something about openly hostile, sickly-looking Miyabi keeps drawing Haruto in...

While I haven't read a lot of grumpy/sunshine relationships, this one in particular was easy to enjoy and get immersed in! I liked how the script handled some scenes, and while there's always the worry of dubious/no-consent in omegaverse stories, this one knew how to do it correctly and still keep the romance alive between these two.

And don't get me started on the art! It's so atmospheric it wraps you enough so you care about the characters, their pain, and their trauma. It was the perfect complement for the excellent development, how both characters grew up. There were some cliché scenes, some that I felt were a bit over to top, but graphically speaking it all works nicely.

There were a couple of scenes that didn't convince me that much, and I feel the creator could have experimented a bit more. Being a story that took risks in different aspects, I would have preferred it to do it in all aspects. However, I understand that maybe parts of the content could be hard for some readers, and that's totally fine. I just wish it was different.

In general, it's a story that shows the best and the worst of humankind, how classicist and unfair we can be, but also how kind and understanding we could become. However, it is still a light reading for pickier, more demanding readers. It is strong as a romance, and while the ending was solid and it works as a standalone, I'm excited to see what the second volume is about!

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment