Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Manga: The Flower That Seems to Truly Dance

Has it happened to you that a book feels like a fresh breeze? I recently read a manga that gave a break from reality, allowing me to dream about a time where things were more complicated, but also more intense, more honest, more romantic. More everything. I'm talking about The Flower That Seems to Truly Dance, by Saki Tsukahara. Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Print Length: 224 pages.
  • Publisher: TokyoPop.
  • Publication Date: February 21, 2023.
  • Genres: Drama, Gay, Manga, Romance, Yaoi.
  • Rating: 4 / 5 stars.
"No one can know about these feelings. But at least I can think of you while I dance."
It's the 16th year of the Showa era (1941), and Soutarou Kuramoto, the son of a distinguished family, is returning from his studies abroad with something on his mind. As a child, he told his best friend, Haroumi Asuma, "I hate the way you dance".
Determined to apologize, he visits Haroumi, but the young man — now a renowned dancer — deftly avoids him. Or perhaps there's another reason why he won't meet with Shoutarou...?
Set in an era where connecting with the person you love wasn't easy, a reunion with a childhood friend allows a long hidden love to bloom.

While the story is pretty simple, I found the historical aspects fascinating. It's a realistic portrayal of human emotions and worries. I usually pass on this genre because I get lost on the historical aspects, but this time it was very light, easy to follow, and impossible not to enjoy. This time, I was afraid of what could could happen to Soutarou and Haroumi.

Both the script and the art were beautiful. The story was soft and sweet at all times, even during scenes that made me lose my breath. The art, so delicate, was a visual poetry that charmed the eyes. It's sensual, passionate, keeping the sexual, hot elements for the very end. It dances successfully in front of the reader like a play you can't take your eyes from.

The irony is that I would have liked a bit more backstory. Why did Haru start dancing? Was his experience a typical outcome? The dancing element (and I'm not saying the name, if you're wondering) was so attractive, so central to the plot, that I wanted to know more. It's not fair!

All in all, it's a beautiful story with beautiful art to keep you daydreaming, wondering what will happen to the characters. I usually complain about stories not being long enoug, but this one took advantage of the space in the best of ways! The Flower That Seems to Truly Dance is a gem you don't want to miss.

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment