Monday, August 22, 2022

On My Writing: A Letter

Hey there, kuties.

I just did a quick introspection exercise to see what I had inside, writing about writing and those plans I shared recently. I can only say I'm surprised and that the change I see in myself is better than I thought.

It's been long since I dedicated some time to myself, so this is part of the changes I want to make in the blog, to speak more about me and my things. Again, I'll still review books, I just accepted two more, but I'm becoming way much more selective about them.

Hope you like it and decide to do something similar. If you do so, let me know and I'll be happy to read it!

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!
"Working on non-fiction is being a completely different experience to what fiction has represented to me these years." Photo by Yannick Pulver on Unsplash.
I've been busy these days working on a few projects, some of them as Kyler, of course, and others under my real name. For the last years it's been a bit difficult to make sure what to write as K and what as me, the line has been a bit blurry more often then not.

It's not only about what I want to write but also what suits each name, what I want to explore with each, and at some point I even thought about what people would expect from each. While that last one may be true, and I guess some readers might expect "Kyler" to write erotica, I came to understand that it's better just to write what makes me happy.

Right now, working on a non-fiction project is doing it. I end exhausted, spent, and really needing some sleep after just an hour of research, fact-checking, and hardly any writing, a paragraph if I'm lucky, but I love it. In the end, I always want to do what I like, and so far this project seems to be the right thing to do.

There's still that novel I want to work on, Phoenix of Cinder, which I'm very excited about, and of course there's also the Patreon, for which I'm re-reading the Grimms' fairy tales, along with their live and times. Fantasy is a key component of everything I do no matter the name I use. Fantasy is the oxygen I need on a daily basis, even if it's just a line, a thought, a comment, or something more insignificant.

However, the academic in me is also excited to get some highlight after many years. I discovered my love for this while I was in college and started working on my first academic article, getting a perfect grade. Discovering this was a surprise because I never saw myself as a logical, scientific-oriented person, but life is full of surprises, indeed, it seems.

Working on non-fiction is being a completely different experience to what fiction has represented to me these years. Novels, short stories, maybe even poems, have been my catharsis, my escape, my way out, and also my way to explore my insides. However, non-fiction is presenting a whole new panorama. Not only one, but two non-fiction books, are making me consider many assumptions I had.

As I said to someone last night over the phone, that crap about "writer's block" is exactly that, crap. When I was younger I would just sit down and write whatever I would think about in the moment, and discover the rest along the way. There may be tools to do it better, I might have developed my own way to do it, but I don't believe in doing it just when you're "in the mood". The mood doesn't exist. You create the mood, even if it's for just a fraction of time.

A friend I recently made explained in her profile that she doesn't dedicate countless hours to her writing, but 10 minutes every day. Words more, words less, she said that "no one can't tell me they don't have 10 minutes in their lives that can be used for writing". Instead of social media, watching TV, doing nothing, we can use that time to write, plan, research, proofread, edit, rewrite, design, or do something related to our writing. I've been doing it, and unsurprisingly the benefits are real.

I have two stacks of books by my side as I'm writing this, and I couldn't be happier about it because they remind me about what's truly important in my life. I'll make sure I won't forget it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment