Saturday, December 12, 2020

Book review: He Sees You When You’re Sleeping

Hi sweeties! I hop you are feeling great and in the mood for a queer horror reading. Yesterday I told you about a nice, sexy reading, but today I come with something that is going to make you shiver! I'm speaking about He Sees You When You’re Sleeping, by Sara Dobie Bauer. Thanks to the author for sending me a review copy!

  • Print Length: 73 pages.
  • Publisher: Selfpublished (December 10, 2020).
  • Publication Date: December 10, 2020.
  • Genres: Abuse, Horror, Romance, Gay, Homoerotic, Holiday, Retelling.
  • Rating: 4 / 5.
We met when you were just a child, but you’re a man now and need my protection.
With Christmas Eve approaching, I’ll watch over you.
Whether you know it or not.
Because no one is allowed to hurt you.
No one but me.
At 20K words, He Sees You When You’re Sleeping is a twisted take on Santa, featuring M/M romance, horror, and the holiday season.

It shouldn't be a surprise if I say I loved this story. Everything this woman writes takes me to a wild ride because of her characters, her descriptions and overall style. This was such a dark retelling of A Christmas Carol that I cannot help but agree when someone writes it's like Tim Burton wrote it. Yes, yes, a hundred times yes! This is the kind of holiday book I wanted to read.

The mythology of this book surprised me in many ways, even more considering the risks the author took while writing it. While based on a very well-known story, the author made it hers to play with and recreate almost from scratch. I had no idea this would be a retelling, which made it all more funny when I discovered it. What a marvelous way to twist it! And the ending! In order to avoid saying anything, let's got to the not so good sides.

There wasn't as much sex as I wanted to find. There is a bit with not so good effects, because the story speaks about how destructive and poisonous an unhealthy relationship may be, but I was still waiting for something sexy and hot. I could also say that the length bothered me, but it didn't simply because it was meant to be. I would like to see this world in a future book, but so far the ideas work perfect.

If you want a story that focuses on the darker side of your beloved tale and how wicked the human mind can be, have a Santa Claus that is also a serial killer with serious mental problems, then you're the kind of reader for He Sees You When You’re Sleeping. Sara Dobie Bauer created a chilling version of such a sweet tale I cannot help but admire her. Wow. Wow!

About Sara Dobie Bauer:
Sara Dobie Bauer is a writer, model, and mental health advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. Her short story, "Don't Ball the Boss," was nominated for the Pushcart Prize, inspired by her shameless crush on Benedict Cumberbatch. She lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she'd really like to live in a Tim Burton film. She is the author of the paranormal rom-com Bite Somebody, among other ridiculously entertaining things. Read more at SaraDobieBauer.com.

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it or not? Let me know in the comments! Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment