Friday, February 7, 2020

Midnight thoughts: What the heck is a warlock?

Credit: Brenna Ivy
Hello there! K again.

Yes, I just finished writing the previous post, it’s 12:56 AM as I write this one and I still have the energy for one more. Insomnia can sometimes turn into a very positive thing.

As I said before, some people claim that we men should identify as warlocks instead of witches, and others say that we should never use this word because it means traitor and/or oath-breaker. As with the previous matter, it’s not the case.

Storm Faerywolf (another author and blogger you want to check, not to mention that you may possibly love his bathroom selfies on Instagram) has been very vocal on the matter, choosing to define himself as a warlock. So far, those who follow him respect him a lot, and although I only chatted with him on rare occasions (I’m shy, okay?) I can say he’s the most easygoing person ever. No oath-breaking so far.
Credit: Brenna Ivy
Why did warlock become a dreadful term? Because it was used against male witches, but let’s get into context: Who would have used it in the first place? Those who condemned witchcraft, so these men were seen as traitors because they supposedly turned their back on their society, their families and lives to have fun with Satan.

When we consider this, warlock was a slur, an insult to men, but because they were seen as dangerous in their society and context, because they were not Christian, because they challenged social norms and expectations, because they broke the mold, or so they were seen like.

Now, in today’s context, warlock means a male witch that does exactly that: challenge the common perception of masculinity, that does not conform with gender expectations and rules, and sees himself as a powerful, free being. Storm explains this in a more beautiful and detailed way so read his article on the matter.
Credit: Brenna Ivy
Should you call yourself a warlock? It’s up to you, but as long as you like the label, why not? There is no shame in it, no real negative meaning, although people will ask and attack you more often than not. This shouldn’t stop you from doing it, however, because it is your identity, your self-image, and you’re the only one capable of defining it.

As for me, I am okay calling myself witch and warlock, although I’d use warlock more often when working with my masculine energy. I’m still thinking a lot on the topic, and I don’t have all the answers nor think I will, but so far calling myself a warlock means I am not a common man, that I defy what society expects from me and do it proudly.

I have been called weirdo, idiot, pussy, whore, faggot, girl, and so on. Those words hurt A LOT when I was little, and even last year when an aunt called me whore it shocked me, but right now I see them as different misconceptions people have about me and what I stand for. For me, being a warlock means accepting this as part of my path as an unconventional man according to social norms, and use them as gasoline to my witch fire.
Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment