Monday, November 21, 2022

Manga: Would You Like To Be A Family?

What reading has surprised you recently? For me, it was a book about families, age gaps, and complicated relationships. Would You Like To Be A Family? by koyama, was full of surprises and a good dose of humor, but also some realism that got my heart since the beginning. Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

  • Print Length: 176 pages.
  • Publisher: TokyoPop.
  • Publication Date: September 21, 2021.
  • Genres: Drama, Gay, Manga, Romance, Yaoi.
  • Rating: 4 / 5 stars.
Families come in many shapes and sizes, and these three are no different!
Takemura is a loner with little interest in socializing with others. Bullied in high school for being gay, he prefers to spend time by himself so he won't get hurt again. When he runs into his bright, friendly coworker Natsui in the supermarket, he's surprised to find out that he's a single father... and even more surprised to be invited to dinner, with no room to decline!
Kuma is a good guy, but due to his constant scowl and rough appearance is often dismissed as a deadbeat. When he oversees his friend's older brother break up with his boyfriend, Yagi, Kuma becomes intrigued with this attractive stranger and slowly, his curiosity begins to blossom into a crush.
Kodama is a reserved psychology major who is approached by the loud, outgoing Harada when he falls ill on his way home. It turns out the two of them study at the same university, and Harada insists the two become friends. But as they spend more time with one another, Kodama begins to question how he truly feels.
Follow three very different relationships in this intimate collection of short Boys Love stories.

Something that I really liked is that, even though all stories are different in their own way, they have some similarities. Each is a standalone, don't get me wrong, but they all have that same flavor of sweet with a dose of drama that makes them so good. Obviously, the first one is the best, the one that I enjoyed the most, but the other two are also cute.

Take and Natsui were a very natural couple, I could feel their chemistry from the beginning, felt their fears and hopes, and while it was short, it was also successful in delivering what I was waiting for: wholesome, beautiful, natural romance. Kodama and Harada, from the third story, were this close of becoming my favorite, though! Their chemistry was also great, and I could see some autism in Kodama, which made their story more interesting that I expected. I want a longer story with these two!

However, Kuma and Yagi, couple number two, were not my cup of tea. I didn't connect with them because I couldn't understand how someone could like Kuma. He does have a charm in a couple of scenes, but it wasn't enough for me. Maybe with some more development it would have been better, but Kuma seemed more of a plain character for me.

In general, I really enjoyed Would You Like To Be A Family?. Time flew by, I daydreamed a lot with these guys, each with their own amount of spice, so they all kept me interested one way or the other. If you're looking for simpler stories that do not neglect quality, this is gonna be a good pick for you then.

Kinky regards, K!

Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Remember this blog lusts after your comments and shares to grow healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment