Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Book review: To the Flame

Hello over there, you sweethearts! How are you feeling today? I just read a novelette and thought you’d like to know about it.

In To The Flame, by A.E. Ross, we meet Emerson and Morrie. The attraction between them was so powerful Emerson cannot keep thinking about Morrie, even though they is ignoring him after that kiss, but now Morrie keeps avoiding him for no apparent reason. To make things more interesting, a radio host keeps preventing Emerson from deadly situations.

  • Print Length: 80 pages
  • Publisher: NineStar Press (February 3, 2020)
  • Publication DateFebruary 3, 2020
  • ASIN: B0844HVY79


First of all, let me say that the idea of a moth-person is way too good for a story so short. Please, dear author, this reader wants MORE!

I don’t remember exactly where, but I read long ago that moths are related to death and are considered as omens of it. Reading about a moth-person who sees when someone’s about to die made 
To The Flame a great. Morrie was a character I fell in love with because of that, but they are also a great character.

Emerson is just the same, one hell of a great character. I could relate to the confusion, the nerves, the crazy ideas that A.E. Ross represented in Emerson, making him a very human character.

I’m not sure whether this is a love story since it theirs was a rushed love, almost an instalove (hey, almost, but it wasn’t,) but I enjoyed nonetheless. It has a dark charm and magic that made me read it in a sitting, although it was short enough for it, truth be told.

Despite all of this, I still want to know more about this world the author created. I’m not sure about a series, but 
To The Flame could have been the basis for a longer novel. Let’s cross out fingers and hope to get more in the future. Thanks to the publisher for the copy!

About A.E. Ross:
A.E. Ross lives in Vancouver, B.C. with one very grumpy raincloud of a cat. When not writing fiction, they can be found producing and story-editing children’s cartoons, as well as producing & hosting podcasts like The XX Files Podcast. Their other works have appeared on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Netflix (and have been widely panned by 12-year-olds on 4Chan) but the projects they are most passionate about feature LGBTQIA+ characters across a variety genres.

Have you read this book? Would you recommend it or not? Let me know in the comments! Kinky regards, K!


Connect with me on Instagram and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment